DIY giant paper flower backdrop

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

I've had a lot of requests on how to create the giant paper flower back drop I created for my friend's bridal shower seen below:


Since there are SO many different types of flowers we made I am just going to feature one for this DIY. I honestly just kind of winged it with many of these flowers but I know that's not helpful. Here are some you tube videos that I found helpful:
-Giant Flowers
- Medium Flowers

Today I am showing you how to create a medium sized flower (about 1 foot in diameter). If you look at the above photo it is the bright pink one with an orange center. You will need:

-this petal template
-9 pieces of 8.5 by 11 inch paper
-glue dots
scissors

Directions:

Print and cut out the petal templates.



Fold paper in half and trace and cut out the large petals. You will need 7.
Cut a two inch slit up from the bottom center.
Attach a glue dot.
Cross the paper over to secure. This gives the flower dimension. Larger petals should be looser and smaller petals should be pulled tighter.
Hold the base of the petal and roll it back against itself to give it more dimension.

It should end up with a slight bend.

Using the glue dots start attaching one petal to another.

After you attached all the large flowers you will do the same for the medium and small. You will make 6 medium and 3 small.
To create the center stamen just use a long piece of tissue paper.

Fold in half two times and cut from the folded side.

Be sure not to cut all the way through.
Roll the tissue up when all the strips are cut and pull it through the hole in the center of the flower.

Ta-da! You now have ONE flower lol. Have fun making the rest!
If you want to create a "bud" type of flower then you can follow the above DIY and just DON'T curl the petals under. This will make the flower more small like a bud. For the larger flowers I encourage you to watch to you tube tutorial above. :) Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Wow love this! The flowers are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I printed mine from my printer at home. But I bet kinkos could do it too!

      Delete
  3. Hi where can I get the template for the flowers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Click the link above that says "this petal template". :)

      Delete

I love reading what you have to say! Leave a comment...it makes my day!