Cal and Evie's Birth Story Part 1

Monday, August 22, 2016

The twins are here! And have been so for a week but of course I'm just now getting around to telling their birth story. It was a long drawn out labor so if you read to the end...I'm impressed!

Here's the last photo I took with the twins in my belly...


My family came over Saturday night and we played pool volleyball and ate some delicious Mexican food.

On Sunday morning I started having contractions that were pretty intense. I was having to breathe through them a little bit and so M and I decided to head down to the hospital. Since my water broke with Blair I wasn't sure how long to wait out contractions at home (especially with twins!)

My contractions were actually really intense on the drive to the hospital and I think M was getting real nervous! I kept telling him to pass people and hurry up!
My AMAZING doula!

When we arrived at the hospital I was dilated to a 4.5 and 80% effaced. They tested my urine which came back with protein in it and my blood pressure was rising so they identified me with preeclampsia (again). They wheeled me over to labor and delivery and started me up on magnesium to help manage my blood pressure. That stuff is no fun! It gave me a headache (as if contractions aren't enough), made me lightheaded, and holy HOT. That stuff made me feel like I had the worst sunburn of my life!

Blair, Calvin and Everly!

SO thankful for the cold washcloths with lemon and lavender...ahhhh

After a while my contractions seemed to fade away and my labor stopped so they decided to give me Pitocin to speed things up. They started my Pit Sunday night but contractions remained light until the morning...

Stay tuned! It's one heck of a wild ride!

2 comments:

  1. So glad the babies were born healthy! Can't wait for part two. Congratulations and I love their names!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading what you have to say! Leave a comment...it makes my day!